- lacking merit or value; worthless
- not deserving: often with of
- not fit or becoming: usually with of: a remark unworthy of a gentleman
- not deserved or warranted
Origin of unworthyMiddle English
- a. Insufficient in worth; undeserving: a bad plan unworthy of our consideration.b. Lacking value or merit; worthless.
- Not suiting or befitting: “The acquaintances she had already formed were unworthy of her” ( Jane Austen )
- Vile; despicable.
(comparative unworthier, superlative unworthiest)
From Middle English unworthy, equivalent to un- +"Ž worthy.