- Mortification is the feeling of humiliation or wounded pride, or something that causes such feelings.
An example of a mortification is having your pants split open while on a stage.
- a mortifying or being mortified; specif.,
- the control of physical desires and passions by self-denial, fasting, etc.
- shame, humiliation, etc.; loss of self-respect
- something causing shame, humiliation, etc.
Origin: Middle English mortificacioun from Ecclesiastical Late Latin mortificatio from past participle of mortificare
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A feeling of shame, humiliation, or wounded pride.
- Discipline of the body and the appetites by self-denial or self-inflicted privation.
- Pathology Death or decay of one part of a living body; gangrene or necrosis.
mortification - Medical Definition