An example of a mortification is having your pants split open while on a stage.
- a mortifying or being mortified; specif.,
- the control of physical desires and passions by self-denial, fasting, etc.
- shame, humiliation, etc.; loss of self-respect
- something causing shame, humiliation, etc.
Origin of mortificationMiddle English mortificacioun ; from Ecclesiastical Late Latin mortificatio ; from past participle of mortificare
- A feeling of shame, humiliation, or wounded pride.
- Discipline of the body and the appetites by self-denial or self-inflicted privation, especially when undertaken for religious reasons.
- Death or decay of living tissue; gangrene.