- The definition of literate is someone who can read and write, or someone who is educated in a specific area of knowledge.
- A person who is well-educated is an example of someone who would be described as literate.
- A person who can read Spanish and English is an example of someone who would be described as literate in Spanish and English.
- able to read and write
- well-educated; having or showing extensive knowledge, learning, or culture
- Now Rare versed in literature
- knowledgeable or capable: economically literate
Origin of literateMiddle English litterate ; from Classical Latin litteratus ; from littera, letter
a literate person
- a. Able to read and write.b. Knowledgeable or educated in a particular field or fields.
- Familiar with literature; literary.
- Well-written; polished: a literate essay.
- A person who is literate.
- (used with a pl. verb) People who are literate, considered as a group.
Origin of literateMiddle English litterate, from Latin litterātus, from littera, lītera, letter; see letter.
(comparative more literate, superlative most literate)
From Latin litteratus.