- The definition of broody is unhappy and moody, or is really wanting to have a baby or, in the case of a hen, really wanting to lay eggs.
- A person who is unhappy, wistful and moody is an example of someone who might be described as broody.
- A woman who really wants to get pregnant is an example of someone who might be described as broody.
- a. Meditative; contemplative.b. Oppressive: “The room's air was broody and sullen, like the season's own, full of storm clouds” (Nicholas Proffitt).
- Disposed to sit on eggs to hatch them: a broody hen.
- (Poultry) A female bird which is in the condition to incubate eggs; a broody hen, duck, etc.
- There are six broodies in that coop.
(comparative broodier or more broody, superlative broodiest or most broody)