- A person who is unhappy, wistful and moody is an example of someone who might be described as broody.
- A woman who really wants to get pregnant is an example of someone who might be described as broody.
- ready to brood, as poultry
- inclined to brood, or dwell moodily on one's own thoughts
- a. Meditative; contemplative.b. Oppressive: “The room's air was broody and sullen, like the season's own, full of storm clouds” (Nicholas Proffitt).
- Disposed to sit on eggs to hatch them: a broody hen.
- (Poultry) A female bird which is in the condition to incubate eggs; a broody hen, duck, etc.
- There are six broodies in that coop.
(comparative broodier or more broody, superlative broodiest or most broody)