- A person who is unhappy, wistful and moody is an example of someone who might be described as broody.
- A woman who really wants to get pregnant is an example of someone who might be described as broody.
The definition of broody is unhappy and moody, or is really wanting to have a baby or, in the case of a hen, really wanting to lay eggs.
- ready to brood, as poultry
- inclined to brood, or dwell moodily on one's own thoughts
- a. Meditative; contemplative.b. Oppressive: “The room's air was broody and sullen, like the season's own, full of storm clouds” ( Nicholas Proffitt )
- Disposed to sit on eggs to hatch them: a broody hen.
- (Poultry) A female bird which is in the condition to incubate eggs; a broody hen, duck, etc.
- There are six broodies in that coop.
(comparative broodier or more broody, superlative broodiest or most broody)