- The definition of broody is unhappy and moody, or is really wanting to have a baby or, in the case of a hen, really wanting to lay eggs.
- A person who is unhappy, wistful and moody is an example of someone who might be described as broody.
- A woman who really wants to get pregnant is an example of someone who might be described as broody.
broody definition by Webster's New World
broody definition by American Heritage Dictionary
adjective brood·i·er, brood·i·est
- a. Meditative; contemplative.b. Oppressive: “The room's air was broody and sullen, like the season's own, full of storm clouds” (Nicholas Proffitt).
- Disposed to sit on eggs to hatch them: a broody hen.
- broodˈi·ness noun