- The definition of a politician is someone with a position or skills in politics.
An example of a politician is a United States Senator.
politician definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a person actively engaged in politics, esp. party politics, professionally or otherwise; often, a person holding or seeking political office: frequently used in a derogatory sense, with implications of seeking personal or partisan gain, scheming, opportunism, etc.
- a person skilled or experienced in practical politics or political science
Origin: politic and amp; -ian
politician definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. One who is actively involved in politics, especially party politics.b. One who holds or seeks a political office.
- One who seeks personal or partisan gain, often by scheming and maneuvering: “Mothers may still want their favorite sons to grow up to be President, but . . . they do not want them to become politicians in the process” (John F. Kennedy).
- One who is skilled or experienced in the science or administration of government.