- a. A political philosophy supporting the rights and power of the people in their struggle against the privileged elite.b. The movement organized around this philosophy.
- Populism The philosophy of the Populist Party.
Variant of Populist
- a member of a U.S. political party ( or People's party, 1891-1904) advocating free coinage of gold and silver, public ownership of utilities, an income tax, and support of labor and agriculture
- any person, esp. a politician or political leader, who claims to represent the interests, views, or tastes of the common people, particularly as distinct from those of the rich or powerful: often applied to someone with demagogic tendencies
Origin of Populist; from Classical Latin populus, people + -ist
- of the Populist party
- of or characteristic of a populist
- of or for the common people