- The definition of legislative is someone or something with the power to make laws or rules.
An example of legislative is the United States Congress.
Congress is the legislative branch of the U. S. government.
legislative definition by Webster's New World
- of legislation: legislative powers
- ☆ of a legislature or its members: legislative party whip
- having the power to make laws: a legislative assembly
- brought about or enforced by legislation
the lawmaking branch of a government; legislature
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- legislatively adverb
legislative definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Of or relating to the enactment of laws.
- Resulting from or decided by legislation.
- Having the power to create laws; intended to legislate.
- Of or relating to a legislature.
The legislative body of a government; a legislature.
- legˈis·laˌtive·ly adverb