- The definition of international is something associated with many nations.
An example of something international associated with many nations is the international organization called the World Health Organization.
- International is defined as something between two or more nations.
An example of international used as an adjective is an international agreement such as an agreement between the United States and China.
- between or among nations: an international treaty
- concerned with the relations between nations: an international court
- for the use of all nations: international waters
- of, for, or by people in various nations
- of or having to do with activities or operations carried on in countries other than the home country: international sales
- a person associated with two different countries, as a resident alien
- an international group
- any of several international socialist organizations existing variously from 1864 on
adjectiveAbbr. int. or intl.
- Of, relating to, or involving two or more nations: an international commission; international affairs.
- Extending across or transcending national boundaries: international fame.
(comparative more international, superlative most international)
- Of or having to do with more than one nation.
- Between or among nations; pertaining to the intercourse of nations; participated in by two or more nations; common to, or affecting, two or more nations.
- Of or concerning the association called the International.
- Independent of national boundaries; common to all people.
- The atmosphere is an international resource.
- the international community of scholars
- Foreign; of another nation.
- an international student
- (sports) Someone who has represented their country in a particularly sport.
- The United team includes five England internationals.
- (sports) A game or contest between two or more nations.
inter- (among, between, amid) + national (having to do with a nation). Reportedly coined in modern English by Jeremy Bentham
- International Airport, as the shortened form of an airport name.