- To estrange is defined as to separate or disconnect.
- An example of to estrange is for a man to leave his wife.
- An example of to estrange is to leave a political party.
- to remove, as from usual surroundings or associates; keep apart or away
- to turn (a person) from an affectionate or friendly attitude to an indifferent, unfriendly, or hostile one; alienate the affections of
Origin: Old French estranger, to remove ; from Midieval Latin extraneare, to treat as a stranger ; from Classical Latin extraneus, strange
- estrangement noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
transitive verb es·tranged, es·trang·ing, es·trang·es
- To make hostile, unsympathetic, or indifferent; alienate.
- To remove from an accustomed place or set of associations.
Origin: Middle English estraungen, from Old French estrangier, from Latin extrāneāre, to treat as a stranger, disown, from extrāneus, foreign; see strange.
- es·trangeˈment noun
- es·trangˈer noun