- The definition of military is the armed forces responsible for securing and defending a country.
The Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force and Coast Guard are an example of the branches in the US military.
- of, characteristic of, for, fit for, or done by soldiers or the armed forces
- of, for, or fit for war
- of the army, as distinguished from the navy
Origin of militaryFrench militaire ; from Classical Latin militaris ; from miles (gen. militis), soldier
- Of, relating to, or characteristic of members of the armed forces: a military bearing; military attire.
- Performed or supported by the armed forces: military service.
- Of or relating to war: military operations.
- Of or relating to land forces.
nounpl. military also mil·i·tar·ies
- Armed forces: a country ruled by the military.
- Members, especially officers, of an armed force.
Origin of militaryMiddle English, from Latin mīlitāris, from mīles, mīlit-, soldier.
(comparative more military, superlative most military)
- Characteristic of members of the armed forces.
- Chelsea Manning was dishonorably discharged from all military duties.
- (North America) Relating to armed forces such as the army, marines, navy and air force (often as distinguished from civilians or police forces).
- If you join a military force, you may end up killing people.
- Relating to war.
- Relating to armies or ground forces.
(plural military or militaries)
- Armed forces.
- He spent six years in the military.
- (US, with the) U.S. armed forces in general, including the Marine Corps.
- It's not the job of the military to make policy.