- The definition of military is the armed forces responsible for securing and defending a country.
The Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force and Coast Guard are an example of the branches in the US military.
military definition by Webster's New World
- of, characteristic of, for, fit for, or done by soldiers or the armed forces
- of, for, or fit for war
- of the army, as distinguished from the navy
Origin: French militaire ; from Classical Latin militaris ; from miles (gen. militis), soldier
- militarily adverb
military definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Of, relating to, or characteristic of members of the armed forces: a military bearing; military attire.
- Performed or supported by the armed forces: military service.
- Of or relating to war: military operations.
- Of or relating to land forces.
- Armed forces: a country ruled by the military.
- Members, especially officers, of an armed force.
Origin: Middle English, from Latin mīlitāris, from mīles, mīlit-, soldier.
- milˌi·tarˈi·ly adverb
military - Phrases/Idioms