The Royal Horse Guard cavalry at Buckingham Palace.
- The definition of a cavalry is a group of soldiers.
An example of a cavalry is a group of soldiers in armored cars in Iraq.
- A highly mobile army unit using vehicular transport, such as light armor and helicopters.
- Troops trained to fight on horseback.
Origin of cavalryFrench cavalerie, from Italian cavalleria, from cavaliere, cavalier, from Old Italian; see Cavalier .
- (military) The military arm of service that fights while riding horses.
- (military) Branch of military transported by fast light vehicles, the mechanized cavalry.
- (military) An individual unit of the cavalry arm of service.
From Middle French cavalerie, in turn from Italian cavalleria. Recorded in English from the 1540s.