- The definition of civilian is something that is for someone who isn't in the military.
Regular everyday clothing worn by most people is an example of civilian clothes.
- A civilian is defined as a person who isn't in the military.
A child is an example of a civilian.
civilian definition by Webster's New World
- any person not an active member of the armed forces or of an official force having police power
- Archaic a specialist in civil or Roman law
Origin: Middle English ; from Old French civilien ; from Classical Latin civilis, civil
civilian definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A person following the pursuits of civil life, especially one who is not an active member of the military, the police, or a belligerent group.
- A person who does not belong to a particular group or engage in a particular activity.
- A specialist in Roman or civil law.
Origin: Middle English, civil law judge, from Old French civilien, from civil, civil, from Latin cīvīlis; see Civil .