- The definition of civilian is something that is for someone who isn't in the military.
Regular everyday clothing worn by most people is an example of civilian clothes.
- A civilian is defined as a person who isn't in the military.
A child is an example of a civilian.
- any person not an active member of the armed forces or of an official force having police power
- Archaic a specialist in civil or Roman law
Origin of civilianMiddle English ; from Old French civilien ; from Classical Latin civilis, civil
- a. A person who is not an active member of the military, the police, or a belligerent group in a conflict.b. A person who is not an employee of the government: programs available to both government employees and civilians.
- A specialist in Roman or civil law.
Origin of civilianMiddle English, civil law judge, from Old French civilien, from civil, civil, from Latin c&imacron;v&imacron;lis; see civil.
- A person following the pursuits of civil life, especially one who is not an active member of the armed forces.
- Three civilians were apprehended by the soldiers and taken away in a military vehicle.
- (informal) A person who does not belong to a particular group or engage in a particular activity.
- One skilled in civil law.
- A student of civil law at a university or college.
- That which is not related to the military, police or other uniformed profession
- The three detainees were actually army defectors wearing civilian clothing.
From Old French civilien.