A civilian is defined as a person who isn't in the military.noun
A child is an example of a civilian.
The definition of civilian is something that is for someone who isn't in the military.adjective
Regular everyday clothing worn by most people is an example of civilian clothes.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- any person not an active member of the armed forces or of an official force having police power
- Archaic a specialist in civil or Roman law
Origin: ME < OFr civilien < L civilis, civil
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A person following the pursuits of civil life, especially one who is not an active member of the military, the police, or a belligerent group.
- A person who does not belong to a particular group or engage in a particular activity.
- A specialist in Roman or civil law.
Origin: Middle English, civil law judge, from Old French civilien, from civil, civil, from Latin cīvīlis; see Civil .