- The definition of a battalion is a large group of soldiers, or a group of combat units.
An example of a battalion is a group of 20 tanks attacking the same target.
battalion definition by Webster's New World
- a large group of soldiers arrayed for battle
- any large group joined together in some activity
- U.S. Army a tactical unit made up of three or more companies, batteries, or analogous units: it is normally commanded by a lieutenant colonel and is the basic building unit of a division
Origin: Middle French bataillon ; from Italian battaglione ; from battaglia ; from Vulgar Latin battalia, battle
battalion definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. An army unit typically consisting of a headquarters and two or more companies, batteries, or similar subunits.b. A large body of organized troops.
- A great number: battalions of ants.
Origin: French bataillon, from Old French, from Italian battaglione, augmentative of battaglia, from Vulgar Latin *battalia; see battle.