- the general appearance, aspect, or nature of anything
- Ecol. a particular modification of the appearance or composition of a community
- Geol. the characteristics of a rock body or part of a rock body that differentiate it from others, as in appearance, composition, etc.
- the appearance of the face as indicative of a specific disease or condition
- a surface
Origin of faciesL, face
- Biology The general aspect or outward appearance, as of a given growth of flora.
- Medicine The appearance or expression of the face, especially when typical of a certain disorder or disease.
- Geology A rock or stratified body distinguished from others by its appearance or composition.
Origin of faciesLatin faciēs ; see dhē- in Indo-European roots.