- Bona fide is defined as real or done honestly.
An example of bona fide used as an adjective is in the phrase "a bona fide artifact from the Civil War," which means a real artifact from the Civil War.
- in good faith; made or done without fraud or deceit: a bona fide offer to negotiate
- genuine; real: a bona fide Chippendale chair
Origin of bona fideClassical Latin
- Made or carried out in good faith; sincere: a bona fide offer.
- Authentic; genuine: a bona fide Rembrandt. See Synonyms at authentic.
Origin of bona fideLatin bonā fidē : bonā, feminine ablative of bonus, good + fidē, ablative of fidēs, faith.
Sometimes misspelled as *bonafied, by incorrectly analyzing as the past tense of assumed *bonafy.
- (done in good faith): mala fide
bona fide - Legal Definition