Origin: alteration of Benedick, the bachelor inch(es) Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing who marries Beatrice
Origin: Ecclesiastical Late Latin Benedictus, literally , blessed: see benediction
- Benedict, Saint ( 480?-543?); It. monk: founder of the Benedictine order: his day is July 11also called Saint Benedict of Nursia
- , Benedict XIV (born Prospero Lambertini) 1675-1758; pope (1740-58)
- (born Giacomo della Chiesa) 1854-1922; pope (1914-22)
- (born Joseph Ratzinger) 1927-; pope (2005-)
- Benedict, Ruth (Fulton) 1887-1948; U.S. anthropologist
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Origin: After Benedick, a character in Much Ado About Nothing by William Shakespeare.
, Ruth Fulton 1887-1948.