- The definition of a gatekeeper is a person who controls access to something or someone.
A secretary who controls who gets an appointment with a president of the company is an example of a gatekeeper.
gatekeeper definition by Webster's New World
- a person in charge of a gate to control passage through italso gateman
- any person or thing that controls access or otherwise regulates
gatekeeper definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- One that is in charge of passage through a gate.
- One who monitors or oversees the actions of others.
- A primary-care provider, often in the setting of a managed-care organization, who coordinates patient care and provides referrals to specialists, hospitals, laboratories, and other medical services.
gatekeeper - Business Definition
gatekeeper - Computer Definition
In H.323-compliant networks, a central point of control in a zone. Endpoints may communicate directly, in either a unicast or a multicast environment, if no gatekeeper is present. If a gatekeeper is present, all endpoints in its zone must register with it.The gatekeeper performs the function of admission control, determining if devices are authorized to connect and if there is sufficient bandwidth to support the call. Gatekeepers serve to translate LAN addresses into IP or IPX addresses, as defined in the Registration/Admission/Status (RAS) specification. Gatekeepers also can act to route H.323 calls through gateways, if necessary, and monitor the network bit rate capacity, with the ability to deny access to a session if programmable bandwidth thresholds have been reached or exceeded. Gatekeepers also can perform certain administrative functions, such as accounting, billing, directory, and collecting network usage data. Gatekeepers may be distinct network elements (NEs), or gatekeeper functionality can be incorporated into multipoint control units (MCUs). See also bit rate, endpoint, H.323, IP, IPX, LAN, MCU, multicast, NE, RAS, and unicast.
(1) (Gatekeeper) An application validation check in iOS and Mac OS X (as of Version 10.8). See Mountain Lion.
(2) In an H.323 IP telephony or video environment, a gatekeeper is a device that manages domains and provides call control. It is used to translate user names into IP addresses, to authenticate users and to manage network resources. Gatekeepers also provide call authorization and accounting information. See H.323 and MCU.
gatekeeper - Medical Definition