(third-person singular simple present turns down, present participle turning down, simple past and past participle turned down)
- (idiomatic) To refuse, decline, or deny.
- He turned down all our offers of help.
- (idiomatic) To reduce the amount of something by means of a control, such as the volume, heat, or light.
- Turn down the television so I can hear myself think.
- When it starts to boil, turn down the heat to a simmer.
- (idiomatic) To reposition by turning, flipping, etc. in a downward direction.
- Turn down the blankets to let them air out.
In all senses the object may appear before or after the particle. If the object is a pronoun, then it must be before the particle.
- turn over