- To authorize is defined as to empower someone or to give the approval for something.
An example of authorize is when the state gives a lawyer a license to practice law.
authorize definition by Webster's New World
- to give official approval to or permission for: a housing project authorized by the city
- to give power or authority to; empower; commission
- to give justification for; warrant
Origin: Middle English autorisen ; from Old French autoriser ; from Midieval Latin auctorizare ; from Classical Latin auctor, author
- authorizer noun
authorize definition by American Heritage Dictionary
transitive verb au·thor·ized, au·thor·iz·ing, au·thor·iz·es
- To grant authority or power to.
- To give permission for; sanction: the city agency that authorizes construction projects.
- To be sufficient grounds for; justify.
Origin: Middle English auctorisen, from Old French autoriser, from Medieval Latin auctōrizāre, from Latin auctor, author; see author.
- auˈthor·izˌer noun