- The definition of an authorization is something that allows an action or event or an act of allowing some action or event to happen.
A warrant that allows police to search a building is an example of authorization.
authorization definition by Webster's New World
- an authorizing or being authorized
- legal power or right; sanction
authorization definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The act of authorizing. See Synonyms at permission.
- Something that authorizes; a sanction.
authorization - Computer Definition
The process of granting approval or permission to a person or device seeking access to a resource, such as a database or network. Authorization involves complex software that resides on every secured computer on the network. Authorization systems include Access Manager, Kerberos, and Sesame. See also Access Manager, Kerberos, security, and Sesame.
Determining what a user is allowed to do on a computer system or software application is known as authorization. In the world of Web applications, authorization is bidirectional, meaning that it controls what a user can do and also what a user can get in return from the application.
See Also: Computer.
The right or permission to use a system resource; the process of granting access. See access control.