The definition of a fiat is an order or decree, or any arbitrary order.
An example of a fiat is a legally binding decree that is issued by a king.
- an order issued by legal authority, traditionally beginning with the word fiat (“let it be done”); decree
- a sanction; authorization
- any arbitrary order
Origin of fiatL, 3d person; personal (grammar) singular , present tense subject, subjective , of fieri, to become, come into existence ; from Indo-European base an unverified form bheu- from source be
- An arbitrary order or decree.
- Authorization or sanction: government fiat.
Origin of fiatMedieval Latin, from Latin, let it be done, third person sing. present subjunctive of fier&imacron;, to become, to be done; see bheu&schwa;- in Indo-European roots.
- (derogatory, slang, automotive) fix it again Tony, a derogatory slang phrase for Fiat, a backronym
- An automobile manufactured by the Italian firm Fiat S.p.A..