Edgar Allen Poe was a famous author.
- Author is defined as someone who creates or writes something.
Edgar Allan Poe is an example of a famous author.
- The definition of author is to write or create something.
Writing an article is an example of to author.
- a person who makes or originates something; creator; originator: “author of liberty”
- a writer of a book, article, etc.; often specif., a person whose profession is writing books
Origin of authorMiddle English autour ; from Old French autor ; from Classical Latin auctor, enlarger, author ; from augere, to increase: see wax
- a. The writer of a book, article, or other text.b. One who practices writing as a profession.
- One who writes or constructs an electronic document or system, such as a website.
- An originator or creator, as of a theory or plan.
- Author God.
transitive verbau·thored, au·thor·ing, au·thors
- Usage Problem To write or be the author of (a published text).
- To write or construct (an electronic document or system): authored the company's website.
Origin of authorAlteration (influenced by authentic, authoritative, and other technical terms of Greek origin spelled with th) of Middle English auctour, autor, from Old French auctur, autor, from Latin auctor, creator, from auctus, past participle of augēre, to create; see aug- in Indo-European roots.
- The originator or creator of a work, especially of a literary composition.
- The copyright of any original writing belongs initially and properly to its author.
- Someone who writes books for a living.
- The works of an author or authors.
- Have you read any Corinthian authors?
(third-person singular simple present authors, present participle authoring, simple past and past participle authored)
- (chiefly US) To create a work as its author.