- An artist is defined as a person who creates paintings, sculpture, pieces of writing, music, dance or a variety of other types of creative products.
Some examples of famous artists are Van Gogh, Picasso, and Michelangelo.
- The definition of an artist is someone who is skilled at what he does or at a particular task.
- A master furniture maker who makes you a beautiful cabinet is an example of an artist.
- A massage therapist who gives you a great massage is an artist.
An artist at work in her studio.
artist definition by Webster's New World
- a person who works in, or is skilled in the techniques of, any of the fine arts, esp. in painting, drawing, sculpture, etc.
- a person who does anything very well, with imagination and a feeling for form, effect, etc.
- a professional person in any of the performing arts
Origin: Midieval Latin artista, craftsman, artisan ; from Classical Latin ars, art
artist definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- One, such as a painter, sculptor, or writer, who is able by virtue of imagination and talent or skill to create works of aesthetic value, especially in the fine arts.
- A person whose work shows exceptional creative ability or skill: You are an artist in the kitchen.
- One, such as an actor or singer, who works in the performing arts.
- One who is adept at an activity, especially one involving trickery or deceit: a con artist.
Origin: French artiste, from Old French, lettered person, from Medieval Latin artista, from Latin ars, art-, art; see ar- in Indo-European roots.