Variant of maintain
- to keep or keep up; continue in or with; carry on
- to keep in existence or continuance: food maintains life
- to keep in a certain condition or position, esp. of efficiency, good repair, etc.; preserve: to maintain roads
- to keep or hold (a place, position, etc.) against attack; defend
- to uphold or defend, as by argument; affirm
- to declare in a positive way; assert
- to support by aid, influence, protection, etc.
- to support by providing means of existence; bear the expenses of: to maintain a family
Origin: ME mainteinen < OFr maintenir < ML manutenere < L manu tenere, to hold in the hand < manu, abl. of manus, hand + tenere, to hold: see manual & tenant
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.