- The definition of vindicated is cleared from blame.
A suspect that was cleared of all charges by new evidence is an example of vindicated.
- Vindicated is defined as to have been justified in one’s belief or opinion.
A politician who got more votes after a controversial statement is an example of vindicated.
Variant of vindicate
- to clear from criticism, blame, guilt, suspicion, etc.; uphold by evidence or argument
- to defend or maintain (a cause, claim, etc.) against opposition
- to serve as justification for; justify: a success which vindicated their belief in him
- to lay claim to or establish possession of (something for oneself or another)
- to avenge
- to punish
Origin: ; from Classical Latin vindicatus, past participle of vindicare, to claim, avenge ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps vim, force (see vim) plush dicere, to say: see diction
- vindicator noun