backer definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a person who supports or gives help, as to a protégé or undertaking; patron; sponsor
- a person who bets on a contestant
backer definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- One that backs a person, group, or enterprise: financial backers of a ballet company.
- One who bets on a contestant.
- One who provides or works with backs or backing.