- a person or thing that promotes; specif., a person who begins, secures financing for, and helps to organize an undertaking, as a business or a sports event
- Chem. a substance that will accelerate the effect of a catalyst on a reaction
Origin of promoterMiddle English from Middle French promoteur from Medieval Latin promotor
- One that promotes, especially an active supporter or advocate.
- A financial and publicity organizer, as of a boxing match or an artistic performance.
- Genetics The region of an operon that acts as the initial binding site for RNA polymerase.