- the set of four offensive backs, including the quarterback and some combination of running backs and flankers
- the set of defensive backs, usually three, four, or five, who are primarily responsible for covering the pass receivers
- either of the areas where the backs are positioned
- Football a. The players stationed some distance behind the line of scrimmage: a team with a strong defensive backfield.b. The positions filled by these players.c. The area in which these players are positioned.
- Sports The primarily defensive players on a soccer, field hockey, or Rugby team.