- Of or relating to the final phase of a project or process: back-end charges.
- Of or relating to the part of a software system or online service that the user does not interact with and that is usually accessible only to programmers or administrators: back-end software.
- Of or relating to the internal operations of an organization that are not accessible or visible to the general public: back-end logistics.
- back end
(plural back ends)
- The rear, back, or invisible portion (of something).
- The back end of the operation is kept out of sight of the customers.
- (computing) that part of a hardware or software system that is farthest from the user.
- (UK dialectal, Northern England, Scotland) The latter end of any given time, especially the latter part of the year; autumn; late autumn.
From back- +"Ž end.
- Alternative form of back end.
back end - Computer Definition
The support components of an information system. It often refers to the database management system (DBMS), which is the storehouse of the data residing in a server. It may also refer to the software in a Web server or application server that performs the processing initiated by a person using a Web browser (client side). See DBMS, Web server and application server.