breech[brēc̸h; for vt. 1 bric̸h]
breech definition by Webster's New World
- the buttocks; rump
- the lower or back part of a thing; specif.,
- the lower end of a pulley block
- the back end of the barrel of a gun
Origin: Middle English brech ; from Old English brec, plural of broc ; from Indo-European base an unverified form bhreg-: see break
- to clothe with breeches
- to provide (a gun) with a breech
breech definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The lower rear portion of the human trunk; the buttocks.
- a. A breech presentation or delivery.b. A fetus in breech presentation.
- breechesa. Knee breeches.b. Informal Trousers.
- The part of a firearm behind the barrel.
- The lower part of a pulley block.
Origin: Middle English brech, from Old English brēc, pl. of brōc, leg covering, Gaulish brāca, hose, trousers.
breech - Medical Definition