a person or thing that retracts; esp.,
- a muscle that retracts an organ, protruded part, etc.
- a surgical instrument or device for drawing back a part or organ, as the flesh at the edge of an incision
One that retracts, as:
a. Anatomy A muscle, such as a flexor, that retracts an organ or a part.
b. Medicine A surgical instrument used to hold back organs or the edges of an incision.
- One who, or that which, retracts.
- In breech-loading firearms, a device for withdrawing a cartridge shell from the barrel.
- A surgical instrument used to hold apart the edges of an incision or wound.
- (chess) A chess puzzle in which a number of moves are retracted and the solver is challenged to reach an alternate outcome.
retract +"Ž -or