- An example of latter is 11:00 PM when the party started at 7:00 PM.
- An example of latter is the second act in a play.
The definition of latter is something that occurs toward the end or something that happens after another event.
- later; more recent
- nearer the end or close: the latter part of May
- last mentioned of two: often used absolutely (with the): Jack and Bill are twins, but the latter is shorter than the former
Origin of latterMiddle English lattre ; from Old English lættra, comparative of læt: it represents the origin, originally comparative form; later is a new formation
- Being the second of two persons or things mentioned: Regarding captain and major, the latter rank is higher.
- Near or nearer to the end: the latter part of the book.
- Further advanced in time or sequence; later: a style that has been revived in latter times.
The second of two persons or things mentioned.
Origin of latterMiddle English, later, from Old English lætra; see lē- in Indo-European roots.
Old English lÃ¦tra.