- The definition of latest is the newest or most up to date.
An example of latest used as an adjective is the most current news; the latest news.
- Latest is defined as the newest.
An example of latest is in describing the newest version of something: "This is the latest."
- most recent; newest
- Archaic last
at the latest
- lattes, taslet
Variant of late
adjectivelater or latter, latest or last
- happening, coming, etc. after the usual, proper, or expected time; tardy; behindhand
- happening, being, continuing, etc. far on in the day, night, year, etc.: the late afternoon, a late party
- happening, being, continuing, etc. toward the end; far advanced in a period, development, etc.: the late Middle Ages
- happening, appearing, etc. just previous to the present time; recent: a late news bulletin
- having been so recently but not now: the late allies
- having recently died
Origin of lateMiddle English ; from Old English læt, slow, sluggish, tardy, akin to Dutch laat, German lass, slow, lazy ; from Indo-European an unverified form lēid ; from base an unverified form lēi-, to neglect, let go from source let, Classical Latin lassus, weak