A modern kitchen.
- Modern is defined as a style of art, design, or fashion that is very different from past styles.
An example of modern used as an adjective is the modern home design of a concrete home.
- The definition of modern is having to do with the current time.
An example of modern used as an adjective is a modern oven that has current features and technology.
- of the present or recent times; specif.,
- of or having to do with the latest styles, methods, or ideas; up-to-date
- designating or of certain contemporary trends and schools of art, music, literature, dance, etc.
- designating or of any of various 20th-cent. styles of modernist art, furniture, architecture, etc.
- of or relating to the period of history after the Middle Ages, from c. 1450 to the present day
- designating the form of a language in its most recent stage of development
Origin of modernFrench moderne ; from Late Latin modernus ; from Classical Latin modo, just now, origin, originally ablative of modus: see mode
- a person living in modern times
- a person having modern ideas, beliefs, standards, etc.
- Printing a style of typeface characterized by heavy down strokes contrasting with narrow cross strokes
- a. Of or relating to recent times or the present: modern history.b. Characteristic or expressive of recent times or the present; contemporary or up-to-date: a modern lifestyle; a modern way of thinking.
- a. Of or relating to a recently developed or advanced style, technique, or technology: modern art; modern medicine.b. Avant-garde; experimental.
- often Modern Linguistics Of, relating to, or being a living language or group of languages: Modern Italian; Modern Romance languages.
- One who lives in modern times.
- One who has modern ideas, standards, or beliefs.
- Printing Any of a variety of typefaces characterized by strongly contrasted heavy and thin parts.
Origin of modernFrench moderne, from Old French, from Late Latin modernus, from Latin modo, in a certain manner, just now, from mod&omacron;, ablative of modus, manner; see med- in Indo-European roots.
- Someone who lives in modern times.
modern - Computer Definition
Current. The latest. Typically refers to the most recent model of hardware or version of software.