- The definition of a heroine is a female who is noted for her courage or is the female main character in a movie or a book who everyone likes and admires.
- An example of a heroine is a woman who saves children from a burning building.
- An example of a heroine is Wonder Woman.
- a girl or woman of outstanding courage, nobility, etc., or of heroic achievements
- the central female character in a novel, play, etc., with whom the reader or audience is supposed to sympathize
Origin: L heroina from Glassical Greek hērōinē, feminine of hērōs, hero
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A woman noted for courage and daring action.
- A woman noted for special achievement in a particular field.
- The principal female character in a novel, poem, or dramatic presentation. See Usage Note at hero.
Origin: Latin hērōīnē, hērōīna, from Greek hērōinē, feminine of hērōs, hero; see hero.