A champ holds up his medals.
- The definition of champ is short for champion, and refers to a winner or someone who excels and enjoys victories.
An example of a champ is someone who won an Olympic gold medal.
Origin of champearlier cham; probably echoic
champ at the bit
- to bite upon its bit repeatedly and restlessly: said of a horse
- to show impatience at restraint; be restless
verbchamped, champ·ing, champs
Origin of champProbably imitative.
- (countable) shortened form of champion
(countable and uncountable, plural champs)
- (Ireland, uncountable) a meal of mashed potatoes and scallions
(third-person singular simple present champs, present participle champing, simple past and past participle champed)
uncertain, probably imitative
- (informal) champagne
From champagne by shortening.
French champ (“field”)