- any of the twelve legendary peers of Charlemagne's court
- a knight or a heroic champion
Origin of paladinFrench from Italian paladino from Classical Latin palatinus, officer of a palace from palatium: see palace
- A paragon of chivalry; a heroic champion.
- A strong supporter or defender of a cause: “the paladin of plain speaking” ( Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr. )
- Any of the 12 peers of Charlemagne's court.
Origin of paladinFrench from Italian paladino from Late Latin palātīnus palatine ; see palatine 1.