A comedian performing in a nightclub.
comedian definition by Webster's New World
- an actor who plays comic parts
- an entertainer who tells jokes, sings comic songs, etc.
- a person who amuses others by behaving in a comic way
- Rare a writer of comedy
Origin: French comédien: see comedy
comedian definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A professional entertainer who tells jokes or performs various other comic acts.
- An actor in comedy.
- A writer of comedy.
- A person who amuses or tries to be amusing; a clown.
Origin: French comédien, player, comedian, from comédie, comedy, from Medieval Latin cōmēdia; see comedy.