A comedian performing in a nightclub.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- an actor who plays comic parts
- an entertainer who tells jokes, sings comic songs, etc.
- a person who amuses others by behaving in a comic way
- Rare a writer of comedy
Origin: French comédien: see comedy
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A professional entertainer who tells jokes or performs various other comic acts.
- An actor in comedy.
- A writer of comedy.
- A person who amuses or tries to be amusing; a clown.
Origin: French comédien, player, comedian, from comédie, comedy, from Medieval Latin cōmēdia; see comedy.