comedian[kə mē′dē ən]
- an actor who plays comic parts
- an entertainer who tells jokes, sings comic songs, etc.
- a person who amuses others by behaving in a comic way
- Rare a writer of comedy
Origin of comedianFrench comédien: see comedy
- A professional entertainer who tells jokes or performs various other comic acts.
- An actor in comedy.
- A writer of comedy.
- A person who amuses or tries to be amusing; a clown.
Origin of comedianFrench comédien, player, comedian, from comédie, comedy, from Medieval Latin cōmēdia; see comedy.
(plural comedians) (feminine: comedienne)
From Middle French comédien, from comédie (“comedy”).