- one who ranges; a wanderer
- any of a group of mounted troops for patrolling a region
- [oftenR-] any of a group of soldiers, trained for raiding and close combat
- in England, the chief official of a royal park or forest
- in the U.S., a warden who patrols government parks and forests
Origin of rangerMiddle English raunger, a forest officer: see range
- A wanderer; a rover.
- A member of an armed troop employed in patrolling a specific region.
- Ranger A member of a group of US soldiers specially trained for making raids either on foot, in ground vehicles, or by airlift.
- a. An officer employed to maintain and protect a publicly owned site or tract of land, such as a national forest or a state park.b. Chiefly British The keeper of a royal forest or park.
- (baseball) A player that plays for the Texas Rangers.
- (ice hockey) A players from the New York Rangers team.