- The definition of a trooper is a soldier, police officer or cavalry horse, or is slang for a person who is willing to participate in difficult situations.
- An example of a trooper is a cop who patrols the highways.
- An example of a trooper is a person who agrees to take on additional responsibility even though they have very little free time.
- an enlisted soldier in the mounted cavalry
- a cavalry horse
- a mounted police officer
- ☆ in the U.S., a state police officer
- Chiefly Brit. a troopship
- Informal trouper (sense )
Origin: troop plush -er
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. A member of a unit of cavalry.b. A cavalry horse.
- a. A mounted police officer.b. A state police officer.