The owner of this home has suffered great misfortune.
- When a disaster strikes and causes you to suffer loss, this is an example of misfortune.
- When you get a divorce and are lonely and broke, these are examples of misfortunes.
Misfortune is bad luck or a distressing occurrence.
- bad luck; ill fortune; trouble; adversity
- an instance of this; unlucky accident; mishap; mischance
- a. Bad fortune or ill luck.b. The condition resulting from bad fortune or ill luck: wanted to help those in misfortune.
- A distressing occurrence: “Misfortunes are too apt to wear out Friendship” ( Charlotte Charke )
(countable and uncountable, plural misfortunes)