- The definition of a dole is charitable giving.
An example of a dole is food given to the homeless.
- To dole is defined as to give out or share.
An example of to dole is to give out clothing to the needy.
Soup being doled out at a soup kitchen.
dole definition by Webster's New World
- a giving out of money or food to those in great need; relief
- that which is thus given out
- anything given out sparingly
- a form of payment by a government to the unemployed, as in England: usually preceded by the
- Archaic one's destiny or lot
Origin: Middle English dol ; from Old English dal, a share, parallel to dæl: see deal
Origin: see doleful
dole definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Charitable dispensation of goods, especially money, food, or clothing.
- A share of money, food, or clothing that has been charitably given.
- Chiefly British The distribution by the government of relief payments to the unemployed; welfare.
- Archaic One's fate.
- To dispense as charity.
- To give out in small portions; distribute sparingly. See Synonyms at distribute.
Origin: Middle English dol, part, share, from Old English dāl; see dail- in Indo-European roots.
Origin: Middle English dol, from Old French dol, deul, from Late Latin dolus, from Latin dolēre, to feel pain, grieve.
, Robert Joseph Known as “Bob.” Born 1923.
dole - Phrases/Idioms
on the dole
on the dole