- Distribution is defined as the process of getting goods to consumers.
An example of distribution is rice being shipped from Asia to the United States.
- a distributing or being distributed; specif.,
- apportionment by law (of funds, property, etc.)
- the process by which commodities get to final consumers, including storing, selling, shipping, and advertising
- frequency of occurrence or extent of existence
- anything distributed; portion; share
- the result of distributing; arrangement
- Statistics the relative arrangement of the elements of a statistical population based on some criterion, as frequency, time, or location
Origin of distributionMiddle English distribucioun ; from Classical Latin distributio
- The process of distributing or the condition of being distributed, especially:a. The process of marketing and supplying goods, especially to retailers.b. Law The transmission of inherited property to its heirs after taxes, debts, and costs of the estate have been paid.
- Something distributed; an allotment: distributions from a retirement account.
- A spatial or temporal array of objects or events, especially:a. The geographic occurrence or range of an organism.b. The geographic occurrence or range of a custom, usage, or other feature.
- Statistics A characterization of the occurrence of the actual unique values in a set of data (as in a frequency distribution) or of the theoretical unique values of a random variable (as in a probability distribution).
- Mathematics A generalized function used in the study of partial differential equations.
- An act of distributing or state of being distributed.
- An apportionment by law (of funds, property).
- (business, marketing) The process by which goods get to final consumers over a geographical market, including storing, selling, shipping and advertising.
- The frequency of occurrence or extent of existence.
- Anything distributed; portion; share
- The result of distributing; arrangement.
- (mathematics, statistics) A probability distribution; the set of relative likelihoods that a variable will have a value in a given interval.
- (computing) A set of bundled software components; distro.
- (economics) The apportionment of income or wealth in a population.
- The wealth distribution became extremely skewed in the kleptocracy.
- (finance) The process or result of the sale of securities, especially their placement among investors with long-term investment strategies.
distribution - Computer Definition
(1) Software ready to install. It often refers to a "Linux distribution," which is the Linux OS combined with installation programs, documentation and various utilities in one package. See Linux distribution.
(2) An English word that means "dissemination" or delivering something.
distribution - Investment & Finance Definition
- The payment of dividends to shareholders.
- The payment of capital gains to mutual fund shareholders.
- A company spinning off the shares of another company that it owns or a partial interest in one of its business units.
- The ability of an institution to sell new equity or debt issues of a corporation to its clients.
distribution - Legal Definition