- An example of welfare is having food and lodging during a time of severe hardship.
- An example of welfare is a food stamp.
- the state of being or doing well; condition of health, happiness, and comfort; well-being; prosperity
- the organized efforts of government agencies that grant aid to the poor, the unemployed, etc.
- such aid
- welfare work
Origin of welfareMiddle English ; from wel faren, to fare well: see well and amp; fare
- Health, happiness, and good fortune; well-being: workers concerned with the welfare of their families.
- a. Financial or other aid provided, especially by the government, to people in need.b. See welfare work.c. See corporate welfare.
Origin of welfareMiddle English, from wel faren, to fare well, from Old English wel faran : wel, well; see well2 + faran, to get along; see fare.
(countable and uncountable, plural welfares)