The definition of a weal is a raised part on the skin from an injury, or the well-being or overall health.noun
- An example of a weal is a bump on the head.
- An example of weal is the health of an economic system.
Origin: var. of wale
- a sound or prosperous state; well-being; welfare: the public weal
- the body politic
Origin: ME wele < OE wela, wealth, well-being, akin to OS: for IE base see will
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Prosperity; happiness: in weal and woe.
- The welfare of the community; the general good: the public weal.
Origin: Middle English wele, from Old English wela; see wel-1 in Indo-European roots.
Origin: Alteration (influenced by wheal) of wale.
weal - Medical Definition