- an apportioning or being apportioned
- a proportional distribution or assignment, as of U.S. Representatives among the states, or of state legislators among counties, etc.
- a. The act of apportioning.b. The condition of having been apportioned.
- a. The proportional distribution of the number of members of the US House of Representatives on the basis of the population of each state.b. Allotment of direct taxes on the basis of state population.
apportionment - Legal Definition
- The allocation, distribution, or division of something into proportionate shares.
- The drawing of the boundaries of legislative districts so that each district is approximately equal in population. See also gerrymandering and reapportionment.
- The allocation after every census of the seats in the United States House of Representatives among the states based on population.