apportionment definition by Webster's New World
- an apportioning or being apportioned
- a proportional distribution or assignment, as of U.S. Representatives among the states, or of state legislators among counties, etc.
apportionment definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. The act of apportioning.b. The condition of having been apportioned.
- a. The proportional distribution of the number of members of the U.S. House of Representatives on the basis of the population of each state.b. Allotment of direct taxes on the basis of state population.
apportionment - Business Definition
apportionment - Cultural Definition
The allocation of seats in a legislature or of taxes according to a plan. In the United States Congress, for example, the apportionment of seats in the House of Representatives is based on the relative population of each state, whereas the apportionment in the Senate is based on equal representation for every state. (See also gerrymander.)
apportionment - Legal Definition
- The allocation, distribution, or division of something into proportionate shares.
- The drawing of the boundaries of legislative districts so that each district is approximately equal in population. See also gerrymandering and reapportionment.
- The allocation after every census of the seats in the United States House of Representatives among the states based on population.