- an assigning or being assigned
- anything assigned
- an appointment to meet, esp. one made secretly by lovers, or the meeting itself; tryst; rendezvous
- a. The act of assigning: assignation of blame.b. Something assigned, especially an allotment.
- a. An appointment to meet in secret, especially between lovers. See Synonyms at engagement.b. The meeting made by such an appointment.
- An appointment for a meeting, generally of a romantic or sexual nature.
- 1749 As soon as Mr. Barville saw me, he got up, with a visible air of pleasure and surprize, and saluting me, asked Mrs. Cole if it was possible that so fine and delicate a creature would voluntarily submit to such sufferings and rigours as were the subject of his assignation. — John Cleland, Memoirs of Fanny Hill.
- The act of assigning or allotting; apportionment.
- A making over by transfer of title; assignment.
Modern usage confines the word to mean an agreed-upon place for illicit sex, but earlier usage is broader, and considerably more innocent.
Old French assignacion