- The definition of a tryst is a planned meeting.
An example of tryst is a secret planned gathering of two lovers in a hotel.
- Tryst is defined as to plan to meet at a certain time.
An example of tryst is for old friends to plan to get together at a restaurant.
tryst definition by Webster's New World
- an appointment to meet at a specified time and place, esp. one made secretly by lovers
- a meeting held by appointment
- the place of such a meetingalso trysting place
- Scot. a market or fair, esp. for cattle
Origin: Middle English triste, variant, variety of tristre ; from Old French hunting station, hence hunting rendezvous ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps
- tryster noun
tryst definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- An agreement, as between lovers, to meet at a certain time and place.
- A meeting or meeting place that has been agreed on. See Synonyms at engagement.
Origin: Middle English trist, from Old French triste, a waiting place (in hunting); see deru- in Indo-European roots.
- trystˈer noun