- The definition of a tryst is a planned meeting.
An example of tryst is a secret planned gathering of two lovers in a hotel.
- Tryst is defined as to plan to meet at a certain time.
An example of tryst is for old friends to plan to get together at a restaurant.
- an appointment made secretly by lovers to meet at a specified time and place
- any such meeting
- Archaic the place of such a meetingusually trysting place
Origin of trystMiddle English triste, variant, variety of tristre from OFr, hunting station, hence hunting rendezvous from uncertain or unknown; perhaps
- An agreement between lovers to meet at a certain time and place.
- A usually private meeting or meeting place that has been agreed on by lovers. See Synonyms at engagement.
intransitive verbtryst·ed, tryst·ing, trysts
Origin of trystMiddle English trist from Old French triste a waiting place (in hunting) ; see deru- in Indo-European roots.
(third-person singular simple present trysts, present participle trysting, simple past and past participle trysted)
From Middle English tryst, trist, a variant (due to the Old Norse verb treysta (“to make safe, secure")) of trust, trost, from Old Norse traust (“confidence, trust, security, help, shelter, safe abode"), from Proto-Germanic *traustÄ… (“trust, shelter"), from Proto-Indo-European *deru-, *dreu-, *drÅ«- (“to be firm, be solid"). More at trust.