opportunistic[äp′ər to̵̅o̅ nis′tik, -tyo̵̅o̅-]
- The definition of opportunistic is an action or judgment that furthers a person's own interests.
An example of opportunistic is a woman telling a friend a false rumor about her boyfriend cheating on her, to try to end their relationship.
- of or characterized by opportunism
- ☆ designating or of an infection or disease caused by a microorganism () that is normally not virulent but that can cause a serious condition in those with a weakened immune system
(comparative more opportunistic, superlative most opportunistic)
- taking advantage of situations that arise
- The danger now isn't so much from the AIDS virus itself as from opportunistic infections.
- said of people who will take advantage of situations to advance their own interests, without regard for principles
- You can't trust somebody that opportunistic -- she'll stab you in the back the first chance she gets.