- The definition of opportunistic is an action or judgment that furthers a person's own interests.
An example of opportunistic is a woman telling a friend a false rumor about her boyfriend cheating on her, to try to end their relationship.
opportunistic definition by Webster's New World
- of or characterized by opportunism
- ☆ designating or of an infection or disease caused by a microorganism () that is normally not virulent but that can cause a serious condition in those with a weakened immune system
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- opportunistically adverb
opportunistic definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Taking immediate advantage, often unethically, of any circumstance of possible benefit.
opportunistic - Medical Definition
- Of or relating to an organism capable of causing disease only in a host whose resistance is lowered.
- Of or relating to a disease caused by an opportunistic organism.