The definition of a resource is something that is ready to use if or when it is needed.noun
- An example of resource is extra money in a savings account.
- An example of resource is a friend with electrical skills who has volunteered to help install a lighting fixture.
- An example of resource is spring water on a piece of land.
- something that lies ready for use or that can be drawn upon for aid or to take care of a need
- available money or property; wealth; assets
- something that a country, state, etc. has and can use to its advantage: natural resources, including coal and oil
- a means of accomplishing something; measure or action that can be resorted to, as in an emergency; expedient
- a source of strength or ability within oneselfin full inner resources
- ability to deal promptly and effectively with problems, difficulties, etc.; resourcefulness
Origin: Fr ressource < OFr < resourdre, to arise anew < re-, again + sourdre, to spring up < L surgere: see surge
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Something that can be used for support or help: The local library is a valuable resource.
- An available supply that can be drawn on when needed. Often used in the plural.
- The ability to deal with a difficult or troublesome situation effectively; initiative: a person of resource.
- Means that can be used to cope with a difficult situation. Often used in the plural: needed all my intellectual resources for the exam.
- a. resources The total means available for economic and political development, such as mineral wealth, labor force, and armaments.b. resources The total means available to a company for increasing production or profit, including plant, labor, and raw material; assets.c. Such means considered individually.
Origin: Obsolete French, from Old French, from feminine past participle of resourdre, to rise again, from Latin resurgere : re-, re- + surgere, to rise; see surge.
resource - Computer Definition
An element of hardware, software or data that is part of a larger system. For example, network resources are the available servers, disk arrays and printers in the network. Software resources can be programs, utilities or even smaller elements within a program. Data resources are the files and databases that can be accessed.
Computer Desktop Encyclopedia
THIS DEFINITION IS FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY
All other reproduction is strictly prohibited without permission from the publisher.
© 1981-2014 The Computer Language Company Inc. All rights reserved.