- The definition of a resource is something that is ready to use if or when it is needed.
- An example of resource is extra money in a savings account.
- An example of resource is a friend with electrical skills who has volunteered to help install a lighting fixture.
- An example of resource is spring water on a piece of land.
Having extra money in your savings is a resource.
resource definition by Webster's New World
- something that lies ready for use or that can be drawn upon for aid or to take care of a need
- available money or property; wealth; assets
- something that a country, state, etc. has and can use to its advantage: natural resources, including coal and oil
- a means of accomplishing something; measure or action that can be resorted to, as in an emergency; expedient
- a source of strength or ability within oneselfin full inner resources
- ability to deal promptly and effectively with problems, difficulties, etc.; resourcefulness
Origin: French ressource ; from Old French ; from resourdre, to arise anew ; from re-, again plush sourdre, to spring up ; from Classical Latin surgere: see surge
resource definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Something that can be used for support or help: The local library is a valuable resource.
- An available supply that can be drawn on when needed. Often used in the plural.
- The ability to deal with a difficult or troublesome situation effectively; initiative: a person of resource.
- Means that can be used to cope with a difficult situation. Often used in the plural: needed all my intellectual resources for the exam.
- a. resources The total means available for economic and political development, such as mineral wealth, labor force, and armaments.b. resources The total means available to a company for increasing production or profit, including plant, labor, and raw material; assets.c. Such means considered individually.
Origin: Obsolete French, from Old French, from feminine past participle of resourdre, to rise again, from Latin resurgere : re-, re- + surgere, to rise; see surge.
resource - Computer Definition
An element of hardware, software or data that is part of a larger system. For example, network resources are the available servers, disk arrays and printers in the network. Software resources can be programs, utilities or even smaller elements within a program. Data resources are the files and databases that can be accessed.